Pondicherry Police Service (PONDIPS)
The recruitment, promotion, pay etc., of the members of the Pondicherry Police Service
Governed under the provision of the Pondicherry Police Service Rules, 2003 issued under the notification No. A12021/1/92/Pol I-Vol. II dated 6th December, 2004 by the Government of Pondicherry (Home Department). The service shall have 4 grades as specified in schedule-I of the said rules.
The name, number and scale of pay of duty Grades Sanctioned Scale of Pay Strength
- Junior Administrative Grade –I (JAG – Group A) Rs. 14,300-400-18,300
- Junior Administrative Grade-II (JAG-Group A) Rs. 12,000-375-16,500
- Selection Grade (Group A) – Rs. 10,000-325-15,200
Entry Notwithstanding anything contained in the PPS Rules, the Govt. may
- From time to time make temporary additions or alterations to the duty posts in various grades ;
- in consultation with the Union Public Service Commission include in the service such posts as can be deemed to be equivalent to the posts included in the service in status, grade, pay scale and professional content or exclude from the service a duty post already included in the service; [Note: Duty post means any post included in Schedule – I of the PPS Rules]
- in consultation with the Commission, appoint the regular incumbent of the post which has been included in the service as a duty post to the appropriate grade of the service and fix his / her seniority taking into account the regular service rendered by him / her in the said post or analogous grade as specified below:
- JAG – Grade – I
- By promotion in the order of seniority subject to rejection of unfit on the
Recommendations of the DPC; A regularly appointed Administrative
Grade-II office with a minimum of eighteen years approved service.
- JAG- Grade-II
- By promotion on selection on the recommendations of the DPC;
A regularly appointed selection grade officer with a minimum of thirteen years approved service.
Selection Grade By promotion in the order of seniority subject to rejection of unfit on the
recommendations of the DPC; a regularly appointed entry grade officer with a minimum of eight years approved service.
Note : For JAG – Grade I and II The (DPC) Departmental promotion Committee consists of the chairman (Chairman or member of the Union Public
Service Commission), 3 Members (i.e.) Joint Secretary in charge of the Union territories division in the Ministry of Home Affairs, Chief Secretary of the Government of Pondicherry and the Inspector
General of Police, Pondicherry. The same Committee will also consider the Promotion to JAG – Grade II.
(ii). for selection grade, the composition of the Departmental
Committee is as follows:-
- Chairman / Member, UPSC – Chairman
- Chief Secretary, Govt. of Puducherry – Chairman
- Deputy Secretary / Director in the Ministry of Home Affairs in charge of – Member the Union
Territory of Puducherry
- Inspector General of Police, Puducherry – Member
- Secretary (Finance), Govt. of Puducherry – Member